Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Vital Viewing (Three Times Is NOT the Charm Edition)

 

1941-2022

The Royal Academy of Arts-trained actor David Warner didn't always play villains. Early in his career and onstage he played Hamlet, such a goody-two-shoes that it took him forever to avenge his father's death because he thought it might give him guilt pangs afterwards. In the 1976 feature film The Omen he must have been a nice enough character or why else would that little Antichrist boy have him knocked off? In Airport '79: The Concorde he's in the cockpit yukkin' it up with George Kennedy while the real villain of the piece, Robert Wagner (!) tries to shoot the supersonic aircraft out of the sky with a surface-to-air missile. In a 1984 TV version of A Christmas Carol, starring Geroge C. Scott as Scrooge, Warner plays Bob Cratchit. Now, there's nothing villainous about wanting a day off for the holiday, is there? And in the final Star Trek movie with the original TV cast, 1991's The Undiscovered Country, Warner is a good-hearted Klingon who wants peace between his Empire and the Federation. Why, if not for Warner's character, Worf might not have served alongside Picard and Data in The Next Generation!

Nevertheless, Warner's gaunt physicality and, to American ears, sometimes sinister-sounding British accent meant that he got cast more often than not as bad guys, beginning with 1963's Tom Jones as the snobby young Blifil, who conspires against the randy 18th century title character (not to be confused with the randy 20th-21st century Welsh singer.) He was Jack the Ripper transported to 1979 San Francisco in Time After Time, the digital villain Sark in Tron (1982), and a villainous valet in Titanic (1997). And Warner played the ultimate villain, Evil, in 1982's Time Bandits: 



Evil doesn't understand computers? Neither do I much of the time, but gee, I like to think I'm a nice person anyway.

  

1939-2022

Paul Sorvino was the consummate supporting role actor, usually in dramas, but was pretty good in the occasional comedy, such as when he played the bombastic televangelist in 1977's Oh, God. There was also, a few years earlier, a rather odd made-for-TV comedy movie named It Couldn't Happen to a Nicer Guy, about a middle-aged man who gets raped by a beautiful young woman, and can't get anyone to believe him. Hard to believe that last sentence, huh? I saw this when I was in the sixth grade, accepted it on its own terms, and found Sorvino as the beleaguered-in-more-ways-than-one victim funny enough in it. Were I to watch that movie again, I would like to think my reaction--no matter how funny I found Sorvino--would be What in the hell were they thinking?! Let's get back to drama, and, just this once, on safer ground. Sorvino's big break was as an ex-high school jock among several in the 1972 Broadway hit, That Championship Season, written by Jason Miller (also an actor, Miller played the young priest in The Exorcist.) In both movies and television Sorvino played cops quite a bit, including Sergeant Phil Cerreta for a single season of Law and Order. Yet from 1990 right to the day he died, Sorvino may have been best-known for not playing a cop but a man who is the target of cops (when he's not paying them off) Mafia chieftain Paul Cicero in Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas

Don't do drugs. The mob boss as Nancy Reagan. 



1945-2022

Unless there's another media retraction, Tony Dow did indeed move up to that Eisenhower-era suburb in the sky. He's best known for playing the older of two brothers in that dryly humorous family sitcom of yore, Leave It to Beaver. A father and son chat:


Kind of harsh assessment there. I think Wally may just be miffed about not being included in the show's title.

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Kirk!

    Holy smoke, the reaper's on a rampage, good buddy! I didn't even know about the deaths of David Warner and Paul Sorvino. I saw Warner in Tom Jones, The Omen, Airport '79 and Waxwork. I admired Paul Sorvino, having seen him in Goodfellas and on L&O which Mrs. Shady binge watches whenever it is available on We or BBC America. I mourned Tony Dow's passing yesterday, then learned he was still alive and mustered a glimmer of hope that he'd be with us a while longer, and now I am mourning his death again. Yesterday, when Dow's death was reported prematurely, "The Beav," Jerry Mathers, posted a nice tribute to Tony on social media. Mathers is now the only surviving main cast member from the iconic family sitcom. Wally, Eddie, Lumpy, June, Ward and Fred Rutherford (Richard Deacon) are all gone.

    Thanks for rushing to press with the breaking news about the deaths of three notable actors that most boomers knew and admired. Enjoy the rest of your week, good buddy Kirk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shady, I wish I could have responded to these comments the way I rushed to post the deaths, but a few things conspired to keep me from the computer.

      Delete
    2. By the way, Shady, since Warner was in Tom Jones, I decided to check to see what Albert Finney was up to these days. As it turns out, not much, as he died in 2019. See, I DO occasionally miss these celebrity passings.

      Delete
  2. Wally was the only one I knew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember David Warner by his looks.
    I remember Miller in The Exorcist but not Sorvino.
    I loved Tony Dow in an unwholesome manner, before I knew what unwholesome was. Off topic but by the time Luke Halpin arrived to our screens, I think I had an idea. Or did I just admire his presence? Complicated memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I had to look up Luke Halpin. I see he was on Flipper, but all I remember from that show is Flipper himself, and none of the human characters

      Delete
  4. I'd heard of Paul Sorvino's and Tony Dow's passing, but not David Warner's. RIP to them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I heard about Warner first, Sorvino second, and Dow third, hence the order they appear on the post.

      Delete
  5. RIP to them all. I only knew David Warner, fine actor and good looking fellow too. I giggled at the randy Welsh singer line! Apparently said Tom Jones isn't very well just now. :-(

    I doubt you'll know this one Kirk, but a famous British actor died today Bernard Cribbins. He was a good actor and lovely man from what I gather. RIP to him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ananka, I see Jones has laryngitis, but denies collapsing right before a show in Budapest a few weeks ago.

      I didn't recognize Bernard Cribbens name, but checked his filmography, and he's been in a few things I've seen over the years, including Flower Drum Song, Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy, and an episode of Fawlty Towers (which reminds me, John Cleese plays Robin Hood in Time Bandits.)

      Delete
  6. It always sad when people we've grown to know through the roles they portrayed are gone. Every time someone passes I can't help but wonder who's next. With great power comes great resposibility but with age come reality!

    ReplyDelete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.