Sunday, July 24, 2022

Graphic Grandeur (Give Me Your Poor, Your Tired, Your Huddled Satirists Edition)

 


Editorial cartoonist Pat Oliphant was born on this day in Australia in 1935. He started out making fun of politics and politicians Down Under, and then in 1964 moved to the United States, just in time for the ascension of Lyndon Baines Johnson, the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights Movement, the Counterculture, and the Space Race, topics that all found their way onto his drawing board, and, through syndication, in newspapers across the land. Oliphant had been in the US just three years when he won the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning. His career was hardly confined to the 1960s. Oliphant drew right through the Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama administrations, retiring in 2015. None of this means Oliphant's unknown or forgotten in the country in which he grew up. In fact, the following clip appeared on Australian television just two years ago. Watch:


 Despite the presence of the late (he died just this past February) conservative political humorist P.J. O'Rourke in the above clip, Oliphant has described himself as a "liberal most of the time", and I think this half-century of cartoons mostly bears that out, but keep in mind that an editorial cartoonist takes shots at whoever's in power, no matter where they may be on the political spectrum:
 


LBJ (the president, not the basketball player) recovers from gallbladder surgery. 

A war in Southeast Asia and rioting in the streets of America. Which needed troops more?



Meanwhile, this candidate had a secret plan to win the war.


The Ho Chi Mihn trail ran a lot more smoothly than the nation's highways.


Back when the South voted Democratic.


I don't think the Israelis and the Arabs disagreed for this president's benefit, but it did provide a distraction just when he needed one.


"There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe and there never will be under a Ford Administration."

--1976 Presidential debate.


And he did.



Just as in Aesop's fable, a virtuous ant (Jimmy Carter) triumphed over a debauched grasshopper (Teddy Kennedy)...


...not that it mattered during the general election.


Strangely enough, I couldn't find an Oliphant Iran-Contra cartoons on the web--and, trust me, folks, he did many of them--but here's at least one half of the equation.


Promises, promises.





Bill Clinton's compartmentalized view of women.


And you thought there was a lot of begetting in the Bible.


Guantanamo Bay wear.


History repeats itself...


...sort of.


The mission wasn't accomplished in New Orleans either.


From 2011. If anything, that fourth branch of government has gotten bigger in the years since.



Before the election...


...and after.


Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.



This is from 2013. They've since found room for dessert.

Now I told you Pat Oliphant retired from cartooning in 2015.


In 2017, he came briefly out of retirement. Perhaps it was the threat to the republic that did it.

And finally, if you have very sharp eyes, you may have noticed a recurring character in these cartoons:


Meet Punk the penguin, Oliphant's alter ego. Just be careful you don't accidentally step on him.




 





 



 



 

12 comments:

  1. I have no idea what most political cartoonists look like but for some reason I immediately recognized Pat Oliphant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mitchell, Oliphant's been the subject of various newspaper and magazine articles over the years, so maybe you recognized him from one of those.

      Delete
  2. His later cartoons seem much more on the money than his earlier ones. While I normally watch 730, I must have missed that night.
    Oliphant is an unusual name. Related to Sir Mark Oliphant? Ah yes, Sir Mark's nephew. Sir Mark once Governor of the state of South Australia and also with an American connection. From Wiki about Pat, 'He has long been a member of the Bad Golfers Association. He is a left-handed vegetarian'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, Oliphant had more freedom in later years. After 1981 he lived off the syndication alone and was beholden to no single newspaper, and to no single newspaper's editorial policy.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Kirk!

    I'm back from my vacay, good buddy, and your S.O.A.D. blog spot is my first stop of the day as I begin year 15 of my so-called blogging "journey."

    Happy 87th birthday on earth to PP winning, Aussie-born U.S. artist Pat Oliphant, whose career focused mainly on politics, culture and corruption. (The first and third are one and the same.)

    I enjoyed and appreciated all of the examples you posted of Oliphant's work through the years. I agree that his cartoons allowed us to peer deeply into the dark soul of Tricky Dick. I liked the one with Clinton's quote about his relationship with Monica switched to a reference to Hillary. Yep, I recognized gazillionaire and 1992/1996 presidential candidate Ross Perot in that "Legacies" cartoon. As you pointed out, "The Four Pillars of U.S. Govt." is a prophecy that has become a disturbing reality in the decade since it was published. The cartoon illustrating the plight of the black momma and son is spot-on, and so is the one reminding us that right wing crazies have, like a pack of wild, rabid hyenas, gobbled up the Republican party.

    I enjoyed learning about Pat Oliphant, whose stellar career as a political cartoonist was halted only by failing eyesight. As was noted in the video, he got out of the game at the right time, because the circus has left town and all that remains are the clowns.

    Have a super week, good buddy Kirk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Shady. I wish I could have shown more from earlier decades, but what's on the web is mostly the Obama years. Oliphant was skeptical of Obama--he basically portrays him as a typical talking-out-of-both-sides-of-his-mouth politician--but he didn't have the same moral indignation against him as he had towards Nixon and George W. Bush. At least not in my memories of those cartoons.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I loved Pat Oliphant's work! One of my favourite political cartoonists. I had not heard he died in February. RIP, one of the greats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, Pat Oliphant is still alive. Today is his birthday. That's P.J. O'Rourke who died in February. I once enjoyed reading O'Rourke despite my disagreements with him, but after 40 years of right-wing hubris, I just didn't find him funny anymore.

      Delete
    2. D'oh! Guess I need to read more carefully, lol! I hadn't heard PJ O'Rourke had died, but no sadness here. Way too right-wing to be funny. I won't miss him.

      Delete
    3. It's cool, Debra. I'm always speed-reading other people's blogs and then getting stuff wrong, so I can't complain when it happens to me.

      Delete
  5. I don't know Pat Oliphant at all but happy birthday to him :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ananka, he may be mostly known in the United States--and Australia.

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.