Sunday, July 17, 2022

Fangmate of the Month



I wonder if the late comedienne Phyllis Diller's penchant for wisecracks about her own homely appearance would fly today. Here's one example: "A Peeping Tom was outside my house. He asked me to pull down the shades."  A person of such low self-esteem is in obvious need of a life coach. Is Tony Robbins available? Don't bother. In the middle decades of the last century Diller figured out that the best way to unleash the power within was by subverting the outwardly powers that be. With her electromagnetized hair/wig, ink blot mascara, tubercular laugh, conducting baton-length cigarette holder, and baggy Sunday funny pages-colored minidresses, Diller took the old comic hag stereotype and gave it an updated, consumerist, quasi-countercultural twist that made her one of the more memorable figures of 1960s-and-early 70s comedy and a backdoor American original. If she was self-loathing, then she loathed herself all the way to the bank. Diller was hot enough and hip enough by 1966 that the then-popular girlie magazine Playboy came to her with what must have been a rather surprising offer: a nude photo shoot. That she said yes may have been even more surprising. The whole thing was meant to be a joke, a way for the magazine to show that it could make fun of itself with the help of a woman famous for making fun of herself. Laughter, not titillation, was the goal. Diller, a veteran of the Playboy Club stand-up comedy circuit, seemed to enjoy the opportunity to appear in front of a camera wearing nothing but a Victorian-style bedspread. Unless its Hugh Hefner's beach towel. You decide:

The above photo was never published. Playboy ended up scrapping the whole idea. While a partially nude Phyllis Diller may not have been Jayne Mansfield, neither was she, when it comes to getting laughs, Phyllis Diller. And that Peeping Tom just might have kept right on peeping.


11 comments:

  1. I flat out loved Phyllis Diller when I was a kid. Did you ever catch her short-lived (one season) series “The Pruitts of South Hampton”? I was 12, so I found it hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I've never seen that show, Mitchell. I'll have to see if it's on a Roku channel.

      Delete
  2. She was slim but weren't we all. I think she was my first taste of self deprecating comedy and by golly, did she do it well. Was she Bette Midler's mentor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, when asked in a 2006 TV Guide interview about the Playboy shoot and why it didn't come off, Diller explained "they thought a really thin woman would be funny. I was hot as a pistol in the ’60s, and they thought I was skinny. Well, I never was bony-ugly skinny — I was shaped like a lady, and I actually had big t-ts! — so I wasn’t what they were looking for at all."

      Well, she's not so self-depreciating there, is she?Needless to say, Diller had a FIGURE, which she hid while performing, but obviously couldn't while posing nude.

      Bette Midler once had this to say about Diller: "It really was like someone who had been chained to an ironing board for years just said, 'You know what? I'm too smart for this-let me out.'" Remember, for a good part of the 1960s, Phyllis Diller was the ONLY woman doing stand-up, while Midler, Joan Rivers and Lily Tomlin were all just Off-Broadway actresses. It was Diller's success that inspired those women to turn towards comedy.

      Delete
  3. She toned down her self-deprecation in her later routines. And quite rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I emphasized the self-deprecation because I wanted to show how it all backfired during the Playboy shoot, but there was much more to Diller's act than that. She basically satirized what was expected of married women in the middle decades of the last century.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of her but don't know too much about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This should give you some idea, Ananka:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB-lBCjHgdQ

      Delete
  6. Phyliss Diller lived in St. Louis for a while. Not to far from my house (now). https://www.timesnewspapers.com/webster-kirkwoodtimes/features/remembering-comedian-phyllis-diller-1917-2012/article_60989c18-7e3d-5e6e-81ee-2593c0e9fbca.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the article, Mike, and see she had the first pink house on the street. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.