Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Road to Pride



 


Is comedy inherently subversive or is it inherently reactionary? Does it make fun of, and thereby attack, the status quo, or does it reenforce existing norms by taking potshots at anyone or anything that poses a challenge to those norms? I guess it all depends on what you're laughing at. If it's the Marx Brothers in the 1930s ruining a wealthy matron's dinner party along with the mansion where it's being held, then you could say what you're laughing at is an attack on the capitalist system, and thus the status quo, making it subversive.  However, if you're somebody who laughed hysterically every time the late Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh made mention of "feminazis" on the radio, then you're laughing at, and in agreement with, a potshot taken at those who would challenge a woman's freedom to be nothing more than barefoot and pregnant, a challenge to a norm that today apparently still holds some appeal (we'll see just how much at election time), and that makes it reactionary.



Then there's the curious case of Bob Hope. A lifelong Republican, much of his material was written by lifelong Democrats (such as Larry Gelbart, who went on to create the TV version of MASH.) In his monologues, Hope pretty much made fun of anybody in the news, be they on the left or the right, though in a no-blood-drawn sort of way. And he made fun of himself (most famously his failure to win, or even be nominated for, an Oscar), the comic self-effacement a big part of his appeal. The movies he made in the 1940s and '50s, such as the The Princess and the Pirate and Son of Paleface (where his costars were Roy Rogers and Trigger), as well as the Road pictures he made with Bing Crosby, were mildly subversive in the way his cowardly heroes stumbled head first into one movie genre after another, making chaotic mincemeat out of Hollywood depictions of machismo, but as he got older, and older, and older still (he lived to be 100), Hope became much more of an Establishment figure, and the trademark self-effacement lost much of its credibility. Whatever shame he felt in not winning an Oscar was probably more than made up for by getting White House invites throughout ten different administrations. Finally, like many comedians who got their start in vaudeville, he peppered his monologues with jokes aimed at ethnic and racial minorities. He did that less and less as time passed, but there was one minority which he just wouldn't let up on:

“I’ve just flown in from California, where they’ve made homosexuality legal. I thought I’d better get out before they make it compulsory.”

By 1989, the homophobic humor had begun to catch up with Hope. The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) wrote him a strongly worded letter of complaint, reminding him that whatever Orwellian fears he had of a future homosexual police state, for the time being it was gays and lesbians themselves who were uncomfortably at the mercy of a heterosexual ruling class. Whether out of sincere regret, or a realization that a public relations fix was in order, or maybe even both, Hope surprised the alliance with a letter of apology. Furthermore, he offered to film a Public Service Announcement condemning violence against gays and lesbians. GLAAD had only been around four years at that point, and couldn't afford such an announcement, so Hope went and paid for it out of his own pocket. Watch: 



Bob Hope may have been at his most subversive when playing it straight. Thanks for the memory.


12 comments:

  1. That was so interesting. People of my age would know of Hope the comedian. Older people might remember him better. Perhaps the public service announcement was made in 1989 or 1990. It's not bad but...perhaps lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, the year I have is 1989. The oldest people would have known Hope as a stand-up comedian, radio star, and MAJOR movie star (number one box office star in 1949, and in the Top Ten from 1941 to 1953.) People a little younger would have known him as standup comedian, a TV star of sorts (no weekly show but at least five specials a year, and sometimes as many as ten), and still a presence in movies, but with a lesser box office with every passing year, and for someone of my age, no movies at all (though he still jokingly complained of not winning Oscars), but still a standup comedian, and still appearing on TV quite often. Those a generation younger than me may not even have heard of him, but then I'm not even sure they've heard of George Carlin!

      The Bob Hope I grew up with made me laugh every now and then, but I didn't really consider myself a fan until I happened upon The Princess and the Pirate on TV one rainy afternoon when I was 17 or 18 (which is why I mentioned it here.) Been a fan ever since, despite his politics.

      Delete
  2. I didn’t know this 1989 story about Bob Hope. Refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, the public service announcement played mostly in the Los Angeles area. Ironically, I only stumbled upon it a few years ago when I wanted some information on Hope's reputed homophobia. Pop culture figures so often let you down as you get older and know more about them. Happily, this was a rare instance of it having moved in the opposite direction.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Kirk!

    Happy 121st b-day in heaven to Ol’ Ski Nose, comedy legend Bob Hope. I grew up watching Hope's movies and monologues. He had great timing and was genuinely funny, one of my favorite comedians. He always made me laugh with his self-effacing remarks and willingness to poke fun at anyone and anything, and I admired him for risking his life entertaining the troops in wartime. I am aware that Bob was a lifelong Republican, but I'll take his brand of conservatism over the hateful, violent radicals we now face in this country. Hope demonstrated plenty of class by apologizing to the gay community and filming that PSA at his own expense to correct a wrong. Shucks... nowadays being Republican means never having to say you're sorry.

    Thanks for remembering Bob Hope, one of the most talented and influential figures of the 20th century entertainment industry, as we observe the date of his birth. Take care, good buddy Kirk, and I'll see you when I return to blogging a few weeks from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you mentioned classy, Shady, because I think it was that, and you're right, these days Republicans are stoking hatred of gays and lesbians like never before.

      Delete
  4. I did not know of this -- good for Bob Hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed your comment, Debra, and am just posting it now. My apologies for the delay. As I told Mitchell, it was a happy surprise when I stumbled upon the video a while back. When it comes to celebrities, all too often it's the unhappy surprises I stumble upon.

      Delete
  5. Good for Bob Hope. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was worded perfectly by the man. Thank you for sharing.

    Just today I found a podcast covering a chlorine gas attack at the Midwest FurFest in 2014 which hospitalized 19 people. I'm so glad all recovered.

    But some disagreed. The podcaster read such hateful commentary such as, "Nodody died? What a shame." It chilled me to the bone.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a vague memory of that gas attack on furries, Darla, though that some people cheered it on is news to me. I don't know. People who dress up like cartoon animals must pose some kind of threat, but a threat to what? Polyester?

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.