Sunday, May 12, 2024

Quips and Quotations (Declaration of Independents Edition)

 


Roger made us work hard and long, I remember that! He was always fascinating to me, a fascinating man – and a good businessman! He had such incredible energy, it was tremendous – he was a dynamo to be around. I always knew he was going to be a huge success because there was no stopping him. He just made up his mind that he was going to be a success and that was it.

--Beverly Garland






Roger seemed a driven man. Roger wanted to accomplish a lot, he had to have a lot of drive to do it, and he pushed through. He not only pushed through, he punched through! With a lot of energy, and a lot of disregard at times...What we did for Roger Corman – I mean, things that you could never do in a real studio, but you did for this guy! Everything seemed unreal with him.

--Susan Cabot






I wrote a screenplay titled 
Gluttony, about a salad chef in a restaurant who would wind up cooking customers and stuff like that, you know? We couldn't do that though because of the [production] code at the time. So I said, 'How about a man-eating plant?', and Roger said, 'Okay.' By that time, we were both drunk.

--screenwriter Charles B. Griffith 

 






It's not precisely the Edgar Allan Poe short story known to high school English that emerges in House of Usher, but it's a reasonably diverting and handsomely mounted variation ... The film has been mounted with care, skill and flair by producer-director Roger Corman and his staff.

--Variety







[Frank Sinatra] was very worried that his daughter was in a film with the Hell's Angels. And for some reason he didn’t want to bring it up to me, so he arranged to meet with my second assistant director, Paul Rapp, and said, “Is Nancy going to be all right?” And Paul, we had never even thought about it, but Paul made up a whole lot of nonsense, just, “Well, we’ve got people there, we’re going to be protecting her all the time.” It was all just talk, but Frank accepted it, and Nancy was great.

--Roger Corman





1926-2024


(Things happen, so I'll just save the Mother's Day post until next year. You know how it is--Kirk)

 


 


13 comments:

  1. There are some quite challenging works, the like of which we may not see again.
    You are a terrible tease with the mention of an unposted post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford will just have to wait until next year, Andrew.

      Delete
  2. I thought these films were so creepy. It’s funny to look back at the exceptional casts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vincent Price and Peter Fonda were both fine actors, Mitchell. And Nancy Sinatra knew how to wear a pair of boots.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I ever saw a single one of his movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be in that drive-in/grindhouse state of mind, Debra.

      Delete
  4. Hello Kirk, I had no idea that Roger Corman was still alive in recent years. Achieving the age of 98 is quite respectable. I grew up on his films, some on television, and later on VHS and dvd's. He had quite a variety of films (loved the Vincent Price ones), but all are perfect for an evening's entertainment.
    --Jim
    p.s. Lately, every blog is giving me a hard time posting comments, each in its own way. I hope this gets through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, I think Corman earned a certain respectability with the Vincent Price/Edgar Allan Poe films, but even his many, many cheapies offer good, subversive fun.

    Since I'm answering this, your comment must have gotten through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Little Shop of Horror's is on YouTube in the original B&W and the new colorized version. And no I haven't seen it. I guess I'll have to watch it. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, what haven't you watched, the just the colorized version or both the colorized and the original black-and-white? I do highly recommend the original black-and-white version. I think you'll like it. In fact, I think you'll love it.

      Delete
  7. He was quite a treasure. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.