Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Rainbow Riposte


Castro Street


West Hollywood



Christopher Street


Downtown Cleveland?!?!




 
2023-2024 has not been exactly the best of times for the LGBTQ community, has it? In the last year or so, some 500 bills targeting gays, lesbians, and in particular the transgender community have been introduced in state legislatures across the USA. Not all of these bills have become law, but enough have to give any queer person pause. Yet the Pride celebrations continue unabated, and not just in such historical LGBTQ meccas as San Francisco and Greenwich Village, but even here in the flyover rust belt metropolis of Cleveland. Nevertheless, the question must be asked, given all the bad news, what exactly is being celebrated? 

That's easy. You see......um......well......ah......hmm......er......um......I tell you what, why don't you watch eight minutes of the Pride march that took place this past Saturday morning in Cleveland while I do some head-scratching and try to figure this whole thing out:



I've now decided there is something to celebrate, and that's the celebration itself.  This is the second Pride march I've participated in--my little UU church group wasn't caught on camera, I'm afraid--and there were a whole lot more people there this year than last year, the marchers--both members of the LGBTQ community and their allies--totaling around 7000. 7000! No official count yet on how many people watched the march or took part in the festivities held afterwards, but it was easily in the thousands as Cleveland's downtown was transformed into a sun-drenched super-duper cosplay Mad Tea Party for the masses. The glam masses, that is. Now, is there anything else I can tell you that the above video doesn't? Just this. There was more a sense of camaraderie between those marching and those watching this year. I dare say it was even communal. You saw all the waving to and fro in that clip, but there's more. Every so often a watcher yelled out, "Thank you for doing this!" Whenever they waved or I heard the thank-yous I felt at one with those people, an exceedingly rare occurrence for li'l old self-absorbed me. Hey, if it takes 7000 people to get over myself, so be it. I responded by mostly waving back at the crowd, but at one point I remember yelling out, "And thank you!" because, really, the marchers needed the watchers as much as the watchers needed the marchers. Without anyone watching, the whole shebang would have been nothing more than a huge exercise in talking to yourself (and I do that enough on my own anyway.) Thank you for doing this. Such an expression of solidarity is a reminder that as much as it may resemble Mardi Gras, a Pride march or parade is still very much a political statement, a form of social activism. Nothing to celebrate? Darling, we have not yet begun to party!

 

 

 

 

 

14 comments:

  1. So happy you got to march -- and in the beautiful sunshine. I marched a couple of times in San Diego’s Pride parade. What a feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mitchell. Unlike San Diego, sunshine can be a very iffy thing here in Cleveland (in fact it rained big time the day after the march), so whether Sol knows it or not, his golden rays did not go to waste Saturday morning.

      Delete
  2. Oh I think we are going to see Pride explode this year. Love the picture of San Franciso. The first time I was there, I went out every year for a few summers in a row. And it is still almost as that picture looks. With exception to the Village...it was the one place you could walk around and see just about everybody was in the area was gay, cruising and, being themselves, everything gay owned and I dare say, showing some bulge would get you looks for the right reason. Hey some of us can't help it. There is only so much room in a pair of briefs.

    Excellent post! Happy Pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maddie. I should point out that the pictures of San Francisco, West Hollywood, and Greenwich Village (look through the crowd closely and you'll see the Stonewall Inn) are from previous years as those places either have not yet held their Pride celebrations, or if they have, the photos were not yet available on the internet. However, the picture titled Downtown Cleveland (specifically, "The Mall", a park just off Public Square) is indeed from this past Saturday.

      And I agree with you, Maddie, that Pride is going to be bigger than ever this year. All the political attacks have only served to galvanize the LGBTQ community.

      Delete
  3. Pride celebrations are needed now more than ever! Good that you participated to help wave the Rainbow Flag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra, and I think that need you mentioned will be fulfilled more than ever.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for marching. A show of numbers marching around the country will send a strong message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew. A strong message is exactly what I'm counting on.

      Delete
  5. We have a pretty big parade here in St. Louis. And apparently its on June 30th this year. https://www.pridestl.org/parade
    And then there is the festival on the 29th and 30th. https://www.pridestl.org/pride-fest-2024

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. Cleveland's Pride was on the Ist and St. Louis' is on the 30th. Looks like the Midwest has got the whole month of June covered!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad more and more people are getting courageous enough to own who they are and celebrate their identity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lux. I look forward to the day when it doesn't require a single ounce of courage.

      Delete
  7. In my tiny part of north wales I’m Proud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no doubt about that, John. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.