Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Last Exit to Brooklyn

 


I'm sure all you Honeymooners fans out there recognize these three folks, even if they're attired a bit differently than usual. That's because it's just a rehearsal, and not even a dress rehearsal at that. Sitting is Art Carney, who played Ed Norton. Standing behind him is Audrey Meadows, who portrayed Alice Kramden. And as Trixie Norton we have Joyce Randolph (who died just this past Saturday at age 99-- RIP) But where's the big guy, Ralph Kramden, who Jackie Gleason so memorably brought to life? Turns out Gleason didn't like to rehearse, as he wanted his on-air performance to be spontaneous. That apparently was less of a concern to Carney, Meadows, and Randolph (whose own on-air performances were pretty good anyway) so they just rehearsed without him. I assume somebody read Gleason's lines to the other three. Maybe a producer, or a stagehand, or whoever took that picture. It all worked out in the end.

Still, a post about The Honeymooners minus Gleason just doesn't seem right! So here's what I'm going to do, folks. Through the magic of computerized special effects, I'll insert Jackie Gleason, aka, Ralph Kramden, into that long-ago rehearsal.

Viola! 

Take a look:



Well, that's as close as I could get.


15 comments:

  1. I did not recognise Art Carney without his Ed Norton makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, maybe I should have replaced him with Barney Rubble.

      Delete
  2. I love it. I just tried explaining to The Kid Brother that the Flintstones were based on the Honeymooners, but it was over his head. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, so I guess you won't bother telling him that Yogi Bear's name was possibly (Hanna and Barbara never admitted this) derived from baseball player Yogi Berra?

      Delete
    2. That was a bit easier for him to understand.

      Delete
  3. Hello Kirk, You seem to be getting your money's worth out of that mouse. At the very least, your masterpieces are better than I could do. --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I could have done it much better with pencil, paper, and hard writing surface.

      Delete
  4. Nice drawing, but just a little off the mark, LOL?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debra, no need for a ?, I was hoping you (and others) would LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kirk!

    Thanks for doing a piece acknowledging Joyce Randolph, good buddy. As the last surviving main cast member of the Jackie Gleason TV series The Honeymooners, one of the earliest shows I remember watching as a child, hers was another important face, voice and character that helped make my boomer boyhood so much fun. I watched the classic sitcom every week with my folks and we roared with laughter. I appreciate the tidbit you offered revealing that Gleason didn't like to rehearse. His method seemed to pay off. I'm glad Joyce had a long life and only wish she had been able to hang on and reach the century mark.

    I noticed that The Reaper was busy in my absence, extracting such greats as Norman Lear and Tommy Smothers from our midst. Life goes on... and so does death.

    I will be returning to active blog duty this Thursday when I publish my first post of 2024. I hope you can swing by Shady's Place for a visit. Enjoy the rest of your week, good buddy Kirk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll keep an eye out for your new post, Shady. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the Flintstones, but Honeymooners is not my generation. I would love to someday sit down and watch those classics though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux, I may be older than you but I'm still young enough to state that The Honeymooners is not of my generation either. Like I Love Lucy and Leave It to Beaver, I know the show only through reruns.

      Delete
  9. Isn't Last Exit to Brooklyn such a good film title? I think I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last Exit to Brooklyn was a book of short stories written by Hubert Selby Jr, that in 1989 became a movie with Jennifer Jason Leigh playing a prostitute. Admittedly book and movie is very different from The Honeymooners, but remember, Jackie Gleason had network Standards and Practices to contend with.

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.