Sunday, December 24, 2023

Smart Art (Nonrepresentative Nick Edition)



 Pablo Picasso (seen here with son Claude and daughter Paloma) may have been a great artist, but he just couldn't decide what Santa Claus looked like!



Picasso drew this in 1959. I like the nose-eyes combination.



From the same year.  Kind of a shifty-eyed Santa, don' cha think? I'm not sure whether this should hang in a museum, or the post office.

 



From 1960. Unlike most celebrities, this Santa could go out in public without being mobbed, since I doubt anyone would recognize him.

In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter what Santa Claus looks like as long as he comes through on the presents. What kind of present might a Picasso Santa bring?



Give me enough time, and I bet I could turn it into Guernica.


13 comments:

  1. I'll give you all the time you need. I look forward to seeing your Guernica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all interesting...and I great idea for postage stamps me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Maddie, but if it's U.S. stamps we're talking about, we'd need a different Congress, as Picasso's politics were definitely not of the MAGA variety.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen Picasso's Santa art before -- interesting interpretations! And a Rubik's Cube would be a perfect gift for him. I like the kids' cowboy/cowgirl outfits in that top photo which clearly must date from the 1950s when westerns were so popular. I have a similar photo of myself with a hobby horse as well which I really should post on my blog some day. My father made the hobby horse and I swiped my brother's cowboy hat and gun set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, the picture is from 1953, so you're right. It was also taken in Paris where Picasso, a Spanish expatriate, lived most of his adult life. Picasso never visited the United States but the United States, in the form of the Western, clearly visited him.

      I'd like to see that picture of you on your hobby horse.

      Delete
  4. There is a video on youtube that shows you how to solve any variation of Rubik's cube in seven moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A different move for every day of the week, Mike.

      Delete
  5. These are all cool in their own different ways!

    Merry Christmas and all the best Kirk :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Ananka. I think Picasso just didn't want to get pigeonholed. Merry Christmas to you, too.

      Delete
  6. OMG. Why is it that it's the first time I'm seeing these drawings? And I can never solve a Rubik's cube so, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux, I imagine they're not among Picasso's most famous works, but they're interesting anyway.

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.