Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Quips and Quotations (Go Lightly and Carry a Big Jackhammer Edition)

 



 



Everybody has to feel superior to somebody[...] but it's customary to present a little proof before you take the privilege.

--Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's





 


21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The 30th was Capote's birthday, Mitchell, so I was looking for a quote to commemorate that, with nothing political in mind since TC died long ago, back when Reagan was in the White House. Then I came across the quote from Breakfast, and it seemed to jibe perfectly with Trump's desire to remake DC, so I used it.

      Delete
  2. Everything the Orange Turd touches, turns to shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concerning to see the destruction of public property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Andrew, but much more disconcerting to see the destruction of civil liberties and other democratic norms.

      Delete
  4. Great photos, and the first one goes perfectly for the jackhammer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truman Capote. Now there was a larger than life figure. Have you read “In Cold Blood.”? One of the great works of the 20th Century in my estimation, and he seemed like the least likely person to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have indeed read In Cold Blood, David, as well as other things he wrote. With Capote one has to learn to separate the master prose stylist from the campy talk show celebrity (though I liked both.)

      Delete
  6. It is going to take years to clean up all the damage done to Washington. If he does manage to get any of his giant kitsch built (like the arch), it will have to be torn down. We can't have the capital city forever cluttered up with junk built by one of our most trivial presidents ever to give himself a sense of self-importance.

    Who needs proof of superiority when you've got bluster and threats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may take years, Infidel, but I think all that self-aggrandizing clutter will eventually disappear. After all, the pharaohs built monuments to themselves, but that didn't deter the tomb raiders.

      Delete
  7. Some people construct, others destroy.
    I'm not naming any names - except Trump and Putin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The White House @WhiteHouse
    America will establish a permanent presence on the moon.

    Dylan Williams @dylannotes
    You guys f**ked up painting the bottom of a pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, the moon may end up green--but it won't be cheese!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kirk. Hope you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am OK, Ananka. I've just been busy with other things and haven't had time to tend to the blogosphere. I hope you're doing OK.

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.