Sunday, April 7, 2024

Night and Day, You Are the One

 


We interrupt this broadcast to bring you this important message:







 




Tomorrow, April 8, 2024, from 3:13 p.m. to 3:17 p.m., Cleveland and its many surrounding suburbs will experience a total solar eclipse, in which the moon blocks out all sunlight, temporarily turning day into night. The hotels are all booked as out-of-towners flock to our fair city to witness the event. Most schools will be closed that day to give children the opportunity to view it as well, and for all those going into work (after all, it's a Monday) if their bosses have any sense of decency, they'll be allowed to take a break from their duties, walk out of their office buildings, factories, retail stores, or fast-food restaurants, and cast their collective gaze upward toward the skies.  


Oh, about casting that gaze upward. When viewing the beginning and the ending of a solar eclipse, it's extremely important that you wear special ISO 12312-2 filtered glasses, which are 1000 times darker than standard sunglasses, and capable of blocking out 100% of ultraviolet light, 100% of infrared light, and 99.99% of visible light. Failure to take such a precaution could lead to permanent...




...eye damage.

14 comments:

  1. Focus, Mitchell! I can’t stop singing the title song. Oh, Magoo, you’ve done it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved his laugh, Mitchell.

      Delete
    2. Well, Mitchell, as far as Cleveland goes, the eclipse has come and gone. I'll do a post on it in a day or two.

      Delete
  2. We'll have 90% here in St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty good, Mike.

      Delete
    2. Well, Mike, as far as Cleveland goes, the eclipse has come and gone. I'll do a post on it in the next couple of days.

      Delete
  3. How exciting that you will get to see the total eclipse in your city! Alas, my city of Edmonton is far out of the path of totality so all we'll see here is a partial eclipse, assuming it's not cloudy. But in 1979 when I lived in Winnipeg, I did see a total eclipse! I wrote about the experience in a blog post here --

    https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2009/08/total-eclipse-of-sun.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I went and left a comment!

      Delete
    2. Well, Debra, as far as Cleveland goes, the eclipse has come and gone. I'll do a post on in it in a day or two.

      Delete
  4. lt must be exciting and you are well placed to view the event. As I wrote elsewhere, I remember one here in the 1960s. Street lights came on, birds gathered to roost and the temperature dropped quickly. It seemed to darken slowly but quickly became bright, which doesn't seem logical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I think I'm more looking forward to day turning into night than looking at the eclipse itself, which will be kind of cumbersome ( I wear glasses, so it means I either have to wear my eclipse glasses over my regular glasses, or just wear the eclipse glasses and get a nearsighted look at the thing. I certainly can't look at it without the eclipse glasses--that might make me more nearsighted than I already am!)

      It's sunny outside. I just hope it's this sunny two hours from now.

      Delete
    2. Well, Andrew, as I told Mitchell, Mike, and Debra, as far as Cleveland goes, the eclipse has come and gone. I'll do a post on it in a day or two.

      Delete
    3. Hey, my avatar is back! For a few minutes there, I thought it disappeared along with the sun!

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.