Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Quips and Quotations (Babes in Toyland Edition)

 


 







If you put the doll in the Dreamhouse and she puts her hands in the air, she can touch the ceiling. She is strikingly out of scale. It’s the same with the car. Barbie never quite fits because her legs don’t bend. We worked it out to be 23% smaller than human size for the sets. What this did is when you built it for real, you made the actors seem bigger in the house. That gives it a toy quality or what we found out Mattel calls 'toyetic'. Finding what it is that makes it a toy.

--Barbie production designer Sarah Greenwood 

To my mind, we were creating a toy. A toy is tactile, a toy is real. Everybody knows what’s CGI. Your sixth sense will tell you—even children will know. So, with the painted backdrops, it just gave everybody the belief that you are in the toy box, you are in there, you are a toy.

--Barbie set decorator Katie Spencer




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Debra, much has been written about the film's themes, but I've noticed that when people who aren't writers, at least not film critic-type writers, talk about this movie, they focus more on the visuals, the "look" of the film, and that made me curious about the people who came up with that look, in this case two women from the U.K. who are highly regarded in their field. I also should mention the film's director and co-screenwriter, Greta Gerwig, whose overall vision for the movie Sarah Greenwood and Katie Spencer were tasked with bringing to fruition.

      Delete
  2. I suppose I WILL have to see this one of these days. I think I'll be seeing it alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure is meant, Mitchell. In fact, I thought I was the very LAST person to have seen the movie. I did like it, both for the visuals and the themes it explores. And I'm not even a film critic!

      I take from your comment it may not be San Geraldo's toy tea set cup of tea.

      Delete
  3. That 23% difference would change an average size Barbie to about 6' 9". Perfect for the WNBA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittney Griner Barbie. Just don't have your daughter bring one into Russia, Mike.

      Delete
  4. I watched the movie Barbie and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.