Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Subtraction

I usually try to be amusing on this blog, even when discussing important world events. But there's a non-amusing side to me that I keep hidden. I hid it last week, and all the weeks before that. I'll hide it again next week. But this week I'm going to give you a glimpse of that side.

Loss seems to be the prevailing theme of my life these past few years.

First, I lost a job of 15 years.

Soon after, very soon after, I lost my mother. I had her almost three times as long as I had my job.

A year later, even though I got some money out of it, I lost the house I had lived in for 24 years.

This week I lost my cat, Omar. He'd been a good friend for seven years, through all the events I described above.

Some may think losing a cat isn't much. A lot of people don't like cats. They compare them unfavorably to dogs. They find cats snooty, even a little sinister. They certainly don't find them affectionate.

Well, those people who don't find a cat affectionate, have never had one jump on their lap and curl up in a ball. They've never been head-butted by a cat. They've never had a cat jump into bed with them right when they're about to go to sleep. They've never had a cat follow them around a big house, or a tiny apartment, for no reason whatsoever, other then they wanted to be in your presence.

Without a cat to trip over, that tiny apartment now seems a little bigger.

And my world feels a whole lot smaller.

13 comments:

  1. Nicely said, Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loss, sometimes it's like trying to stop a hemorrage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting, Badger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loss. it just hurts. i'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Kirk. Omar's passing kicked me in the gut. I'm sorry. Sometimes I'm negative and petty. I try not to be those things, but sometimes ... I'm sorry, Hon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for leaving a comment, Les.

    Not sure what you mean by negative or petty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant that sometimes I'm negative and petty when I don't have many real problems and others ARE enduring real problems. I"m so sorry.

    WV = blessu. And I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn. Sorry about your loss. My cat is about 11 years old now and starting to show her age. Always sad when a pet passes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Limes--thanks again.

    @Lemmy--Thanks for commenting, Lemmy. I may have given the impression my cat was younger than he was. I had him for only seven years, but he was already seven when I got him, so he was about 14. He had had a very serious health problem about a year ago, but then recovered, or seemed to have recovered, completely. So, as everyone's been telling me, I had that extra year with him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((((Kirk))))))

    Loss sucks.

    All of the losses you so eloquently described are life-changers.

    Again, ((((((Kirk))))))))

    Omar is at The Rainbow Bridge, running faster than any dog and just hanging out in the sunshine, waiting to see you again.

    "Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."


    ~Unknown Author~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Hill, and thanks again for the links you sent me from your own blog.

    "Loss sucks" Yes. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.