Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blog Verite: At Cross Purposes

Overheard at the Bagley Rd McDonald's in Middleburg Heights:

"So, my niece was going to have her Confirmation, where she becomes a full Christian or something, and we were all supposed to meet at the church, and then the party after, and my sister and her husband wanted me to go in the car with them, but, you know, I'm not into going into the same car thing because I like to be able to leave whenever I want to, but I got into the same car anyway and that was the worst car to get into because it was their daughter getting confirmed so they were going to stay at the church the longest, and I thought about just walking home so I could change and everything because it really wasn't that far from where I live, but it was cold out and I didn't want to walk outside wearing this nice dress, so I just stood there and because I stood there so long waiting for my sister and her husband to finally go that I started noticing things about the other people there, like the one woman had bad teeth, and the one guy's suit didn't fit him right, and the one woman didn't look like she had even combed her hair, and then I thought, wow, this is not what this thing is supposed to be all about and this is not what I'm supposed to even be thinking and I wouldn't be thinking it if I had just gone in my own car!"

15 comments:

  1. I can just see and hear Fran Drescher doing this bit at the McDonalds on Bagley Rd in Middleburg Heights. One night only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I hope no one else bought her the same scapular I did because I don't like to drive all the way down to the Catholic store in Broadview. If I have to return it, it'll take me half a day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world is full of Fran Dreschers, Tag--even if they all don't have Brooklyn accents.

    Come to think of it, there's a Brooklyn, Ohio. Maybe that's where she was from.

    Man, Limes, you read just like her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, well, sure - I can dish a little. Besides, I WAS the confirmation girl once, so I've attended such events and heard the comments made by members of the redheaded extended Irish-Catholic family members. I've also spent the ensuing 43 years running away from Catholicism screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just the song for this: Get Right With God (Lucinda Williams). Me, I would have walked home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how right it is with God, but I just love that tight T-shirt, low-cut jeans, bare-midriff look. Lucindia, you've converted me, I'm yours!

    Excuse that outburst. Welcome to the blog, Once Known as The Badger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. I eavesdrop all the time, can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shhhhhh, Erin. Don't tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin, me again. It helps when the person you're eavesdropping on talks with a loud voice, as was the case with this woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, forget god, I just want to get right with Lucinda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was rather interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is remarkable, rather amusing phrase

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm amused that you like the phrase, Anonymous. In fact, I find it rather remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.