Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Obstinance

I walked into the Looking-Glass Cafe and ran into Marty Volare, whom I've known since high school. A couple of minutes later we were at the bar, watching Greta Van Susteren interview Bristol Palin on TV. Bristol, you might recall, is the teenage daughter of Sarah Palin, John McCain's running mate in the recent election. You may also recall that her boyfriend got her pregnant, causing a mild scandal. But that's all behind her now. She recently gave birth to a baby boy, Tripp. Van Susteren asked Bristol if she didn't think teens should practice abstinence. Bristol replied she didn't think it was realistic.

At this point, Marty Volare opened his mouth to say something, but as soon as he did, bit's and drops of chewed pretzels and beer poured forth.

It took about a second for Marty to compose himself, and then he said, "I agree with Bristol Palin"

"About what?" I asked.

"Abstinence IS unrealistic. It was when I was a teen,"

"What are you talking about, Marty? You were constantly shot down by girls back then. They wouldn't let you carry their books, much less do anything that would lead to a baby."

"I know," said Marty. "It was unreal!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.