Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Well, It's Not Exactly New York Harbour...

Got things to do today, so I'll have to catch Obama's speech tonight on C-span. They'll play it a couple of times, I'm sure. True, it's not the same as watching it live. But the live version's not necessarily live. There's a rumor on the Internet that Obama's inauguration speech is on a five-second tape delay. Networks execs are afraid a strong wind might knock over Dick Cheney's wheelchair, and the subsequent curse words will be caught on mike.

Even though I'm not watching the inauguration live, I will pass this along to you. Earlier this morning, I was in Berea, driving down Bagley through a mild snowstorm, when I suddenly see this guy on the side of the road dressed like the Statue of Liberty, and waving a cardboard torch! He certainly seemed to be in a good mood.

Something written by Emma Lazarus popped into my head.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp besides the golden door!"

Lamp? Golden door? Speaking for this wretched refuse, after eight years of Bush, I'd be willing to follow a Zippo lighter through the garage door entrance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.