Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Paris Is Burning

 


Looking for something to blog about, I checked to see if there were any holidays/observances today. I found two.




 In France, it's Bastille Day.

And the other holiday/observance?




Let's hear it for liberation--in whatever form it takes.

 


20 comments:

  1. Today I was reading about French and Spanish involvement in your civil war. Quite interesting. I mean your first civil war, not the current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I did not know about Franch and Spanish involvement in the Civil War, but I can' say I'm surprised. As Jimmy Durante used to say, everybody wants to get into the act.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very appropriate for nonbinary day to be on Bastille Day! Yes, liberation is the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to both days! But especially to International Non-Binary Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Including the purely sociological, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liberté, égalité, fraternité ! And human rights for all of us 🌺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad words to live by, Rita, in French or English.

      Delete
  6. Liberty is an elusive goal it seems, but we should never stop striving for it. As for non-binary people, whatever happened to live and let live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Live and let live" may be equally elusive, David, and we should never stop striving for that either.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this, Kirk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did not know there was a holiday on those days. Yay for the non-binary!! I still make the mistake of using the wrong pronouns with some friends who are nonbinary. And I apologize profusely for it. I feel bad as they have to tell me time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pronouns are difficult to remember, JM, especially in casual conversation. Still, one must try.

      Delete
  9. Freedom feels different to everyone, so honoring it in all its forms is a beautiful concept. I always do the same deep dive for quirky calendar holidays when looking for writing inspiration, though you hit the jackpot today. Cheers to celebrating your own version of breaking free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Kirk, I vaguely recall reading in an old book about someone (presumably American) throwing a Bastille Day Party. I am not sure if it was a joke or not, but it probably was.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the book, Jim, but plenty of U.S. cities have Bastille Day celebrations, particularly if a significant number of people living in those cities have French ancestry (such as New Orleans.)

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.