Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Recommended Reading

 


I don't spend too much time on this blog discussing happenings in my home state of Ohio for the simple reason that so many of my readers reside outside of Ohio. However...



...even if you've never been to the Buckeye State, even if you have no immediate plans on visiting the Buckeye State, even if you have no idea what a buckeye is, you may find the following dispatch from the Columbia Broadcasting System of some interest. It's all about reproductive rights and, more broadly, how the future of the democratic process has just been democratically decided in these parts:

Ohio votes against Issue 1 in special election. Here's what that could mean for abortion rights. - CBS News

Odd reading rather than watching something from CBS, but I guess it's the times we live in. Meanwhile...



...can you guess which side of the issue I was on?


14 comments:

  1. Hello Kirk, Thank you for this post--this is the first I have heard of the good news! You can be sure that I mailed in my overseas ballot, and checked to see that it was received and counted.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I've been wondering to what extent you've been keeping track on what's going on here in Cleveland and Ohio. Now I know!

      Delete
  2. Right. With a little reading of your link, this is a good and positive thing. I would have thought Ohio was very conservative, but it seems not with women's rights. You correctly assume no foreign type will know what Buckeye means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, it's a nut found on trees that used to be, and in some areas still are, quite common in the state. It looks a lot like a chestnut, but unlike a chestnut, a buckeye is poisonous. So if you ever find yourself in an Ohio forest, and see what looks like a chestnut, think twice before popping one in your mouth.

      Delete
  3. I should point out to everybody that as far as reproductive rights are concerned; the battle is only half-won. To get such rights enshrined in the Ohio Constitution will take another vote in November. But I'm now more confident about that vote than I was a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That semicolon was AI's idea, not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good to know. Indeed the battle is ongoing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I guess which side of the issue you were on? You are pro-woman!

    I have never heard of a woman, who has had a baby herself, trying to force other women into having unwanted pregnancies and painful deliveries. It would be vindictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what tips the scale for me on this issue, Hels. If babies grew out of the ground like carrots I might think differently, but they don't.

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.