Sunday, June 18, 2023

Quips and Quotations (Patriarchal Succession Edition)

 


I only remember my father for one month my whole life, when I was 10. And it wasn't until much later in life that I realized, like, he gave me my first basketball and it was shortly thereafter that I became this basketball fanatic. And he took me to my first jazz concert and it was sort of shortly thereafter that I became really interested in jazz and music. So what it makes you realize how much of an impact [even if it's only a month] that they have on you. But I think probably the most important thing was his absence I think contributed to me really wanting to be a good dad, you know? Because I think not having him there made me say to myself, "You know what? I want to make sure my girls feel like they've got somebody they can rely on."

--Barack Obama II, whose parents divorced when he was three, his father returning to his native Kenya, where he went on to become a government economist.   





10 comments:

  1. That's such a nice story...the making of Barack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Among other things, Andrew, he's a very introspective fellow.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mitchell, it's easy to look at the news and conclude the United States is on a hopelessly downward right-wing spiral, but remember, it's been less than ten years since Obama was in the Oval Office. Most people alive today were alive then. It can all be reversed. Nothing is in stone.

      Delete
  3. Absence is so often a characteristic of fathers and therefore a significant formative feature of many children's lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Debra, it's commonplace enough, even as society moralizes otherwise.

      Delete
  4. This was my first Father's Day without my father. I didn't really think about it, because growing up, Dad was always there. His absence is felt every day, and not just on a a holiday like this. His impact on me is shown by the way I live my life. And I know he'll live on through me and my siblings as well as my nephews and nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a touching quote. It's really not what happens to us that defines us but how we respond to it.

    ReplyDelete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.