![]() |
| 1946-2026 |
Dolly Parton explains the above look and more to the last person you'd think would be interviewing Dolly Parton (but he's welcome to nonetheless), 60 Minutes' Morely Safer:
Yes, it's true, during her long career Dolly was never afraid to show a bit of...
While I'm sure Dolly got a nice check for putting her name on that product, the in-some-ways secret of her success was her musical artistry, a musical artistry that ultimately transcended the self-professed silliness. Here are two of my favorite examples:
I'm not sure which is closer to the stratosphere, Dolly's wig or Porter Waggoner's pompadour.
Finally, though Dolly insisted she patterned her look after the town tramp, some in the LGBTQ community can be excused for wondering if she got her inspiration elsewhere:
She didn't seem to mind the comparison.



Wonderful singer 💛 Gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteGotta love the silliness 🥰
Rita, the silliness was a big, but certainly not biggest, part of her appeal. Dolly was a genuinely talented singer-songwriter.
DeleteThere has never been anyone like her.
ReplyDeleteAnd there may never be again, Mitchell.
DeleteNice peaks on the cheesecake. What a great loss.
ReplyDeleteIt is a great loss, Andrew.
DeleteFor those too young to know, "cheesecake" was a midcentury term used to describe a photograph of a female celebrity in a sexy pose (for males the term was "beefcake".)
She was unique in many ways. I know less than nothing about her music but I always admired her philanthropy. She genuinely seemed to care about people.
ReplyDeleteMusic, philanthropy, Dolly had something for everyone, David.
DeleteI'm still in disbelief here. And shed a few tears yesterday. In honor, I'll wearing my black rhinestone flower earring, they are huge, but wearing it on my dress shirt today as a brooch in her honor.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to see you with that brooch, Maddie.
DeleteHi Kirk, I was very saddened to hear the news of Dolly's passing. I have always loved her for her music as well as her kind and down to earth personality. She will definitely be missed. Thank you so much for sharing this tribute.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, Linda.
DeleteOhh what a pity that our Dolly is gone... we will also leave one day to be with her and we will be together again.
ReplyDeleteGreetings to you from my country Slovenia, I have added you to my friends, hug Andreja!
Welcome to Shadow of a Doubt, Andreja.
DeleteThank you very much for the visit, I miss a translator, but don’t worry, I’ll manage.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a nice Friday, hugs, Andreja!
You’re also welcome to my blog Foto vitrina, the link is on the profile and in the right-hand box :))
I think it is a true testament that no one has ever said anything bad about you. I mean there were jokes, but as far as Dolly as a person, no one could say anything mean.
ReplyDeleteI was amazed to learn that the beginning of the song 9-5, the clacking sound is her nails…RIP Dolly. You will be missed. Thanks for truly loving your fans.
JM, here's Dolly and her amazing fingernails:
Deletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9LF-snpobQ