Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Team Players


The man on the left, Fred Astaire, was much better known as a dancer than a pianist, though I suppose if he wants to tickle the ivories, well, it's a free country. Meanwhile, the man in the middle, George Gershwin, was very well known as for his piano playing. He doesn't seem to mind Fred joining in (maybe he's giving him lessons.) The man on the right, George's lyricist brother Ira, is content just to watch. Since photographs are generally silent, I can't say what piece of music is emerging from that stringed instrument, but in 1937 the three of them (along with some blond chick named after a spice) came together for the film Shall We Dance:


They had three more films to go before they called the whole thing off.

7 comments:

  1. Four co-op films is rare in any day and age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think my closing sentence is a bit misleading, Adam. Fred and Ginger had three more films to go, but not with the Gershwins. George died the very year Shall We Dance came out.

      It might interest you to know that Astaire and Rogers did a whopping 11 films together (this one coming late in the run) THAT may be rare in any day and age.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kirk!

    Thank you for posting Ginger Spice. I adore her! :)

    Throughout the year 2007, in an effort to educate myself about films of the early 20th century, I binged watched hundreds movies of the 30s, 40s and 50s on TCM. Musicals are not my favorite genre and I stubbornly avoided them, but I did catch Ginger in Stage Door and Kitty Foyle.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, good buddy Kirk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shady, I kind of suspected you'd make a Ginger Spice joke.

      Ginger Rogers was primarily an actress who could dance, as opposed to Fred Astaire, who was, at least in the 1930s, primarily a dancer who could act (sometimes just barely.) I prefer her in comedies (but then I prefer almost anyone in comedies) but she was a good dramatic actress, too. In fact, she won an Oscar for Kitty Foyle (in that she was a brunette--her natural hair color--and actually looks quite striking.)

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite numbers with Ginger Rogers. I’m glad I enjoyed Fred Astaire’s talent before I knew what a socially narrow-minded twit he could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mitchell, there's so many people I've become fans of before finding out A.) that they were assholes in real life, and/or B.) their politics totally revolt me, but by then it's always too late--I'm hooked.

      Delete

In order to keep the hucksters, humbugs, scoundrels, psychos, morons, and last but not least, artificial intelligentsia at bay, I have decided to turn on comment moderation. On the plus side, I've gotten rid of the word verification.